freetds - PHP4/FreeTDS speed issue (long updates are slow)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Michael Kimsal" <michael AT tapinternet.com>
  • To: freetds
  • Subject: PHP4/FreeTDS speed issue (long updates are slow)
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:36:28

Hello all...

First off, I've not contributed before, but have lurked, and
am very grateful we've found FreeTDS - thanks to all involved!

Now, on to our problem here...

We're building a shopping application on Linux which is
using MSSQL7 on NT. The system was working fine
until we started storing the session data in the database
instead of the local filesystem. The longer the insert is
(more items in the shopping cart) the longer the page
seems to take. We're talking a page that took 80-100 ms
now taking 250-400 ms. Eventually, the page breaks,
as I get an "Invalid SQL query" error if the entire
query string is over 512 bytes (closest estimate I have
as to the breaking point).

Are there any switches/flags I can set to make this work
(and work faster)? This is currently compiled as -tdsver=7.0
I think - would going to 4.2 be better?