freetds - Re: Judge Jackson sees a future for Microsoft(s) (fwd)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Craig Spannring <Craig.Spannring AT aedinc.net>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Judge Jackson sees a future for Microsoft(s) (fwd)
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 09:16:39 -0600 (MDT)

Stefan Bodewig writes:

> After I had read in the FAQ that Sybase will give you their TDS
> details "for free" - there are enough magic values in TDS 4.2 already
> - I went to their web site and read their license. It's scary.

One does have to wonder how much of the license is what Sybase wants
and how much of the license is implicitly required by contracts Sybase
has with MS. Certain Sybase people (at least up to the VP level)
seemed to want to release it unconditionally. My understanding is
that the corporate lawyers said that wasn't possible.

I tend to think that Sybase was barred by previous agreements (probably
with MS) from a "free" release.

Life is short. | Craig Spannring
Bike hard, ski fast. | cts AT internetcds.com
When all you've got is Perl, everything feels like a smashed thumb