freetds - Re: How to upgarde to FreeTDS 0.5 for use with MS-SQL 7.0

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Stefan Bodewig <bodewig AT bost.de>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How to upgarde to FreeTDS 0.5 for use with MS-SQL 7.0
  • Date: 17 Apr 2000 10:41:50 +0200

ag> I have downloaded the FreeTDS 0.2 and 0.5 from web-site. When I
ag> connect to SQLServer7.0 using the class
ag> "com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.Driver", it gives an error saying "Host
ag> not found".

I'm afraid you are mixing up things here. You are obviously using Java
to connect to your database. This means you need freetds_jdbc which is
a pure Java JDBC driver that doesn't use the C-library behind FreeTDS
0.5 - or any other version for that matter - at all.

First, do yourself a favor and download the latest build of
freetds_jdbc.jar (it's from March 31 as of this writing).

I've been using freetds_jdbc (what is the correct capitalization of
this anyway 8^) to connect to MS SQLServer 7.0 for quite some time. It
doesn't support all the (new?) features of SQLServer 7 - yet. Namely
it cannot access CHAR and BINARY columns of more than 255 bytes length
(they get truncated) and doesn't handle NCHAR and friends properly.

If the error message says "Host not found" it usually means "I cannot
find the machine that should be hosting your database according to
the specified URL".

The correct syntax to connect to a MS SQLServer instance would be

jdbc:freetds:sqlserver://my.machine.name/mydbname

If it still says it cannot find the host, try pinging
my.machine.name. This should give you a hint. Most probably it's an
error with your URL or the network config, not with freetds_jdbc.

Hope I was of some help to you

Stefan