freetds - Re: How MS implement Positioned cursors on SQL 6.5

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Stevenson, Chris (SSABSA)" <chris AT ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How MS implement Positioned cursors on SQL 6.5
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:37:05 +1030

> Stevenson, Chris (SSABSA) writes:
> > > Simply put, most of the 2.0 enhancements can't be
> implemented cleanly
> > > and reliably on a relational database.
> >
> > I disagree with this *very* strongly, and the proof is in
> > the pudding of all the (commercial) implementations.
>
> Most of the 2.0 drivers (mine included) are just 1.0 drivers where the
> new methods just throw an exception.

The MySql ones are but that's because the MySql protocol
doesn't support cursors, but most commercial dbs *do*
and SQL Server most certainly does.

> You'll have to make better
> pudding before I'll buy that argument.

Fair comment, and exactly what I'm trying to do :-)

It looks like the packets sent and received are standard
TDS 1.0 packets, so there shouldn't need to be many
changes to freetds to support cursors.

And of course, the whole idea of the JDBC API is to make it
easy for developers using the api - not those implementing
the Drivers for it!

chris.