freetds - Packaging FreeTDS for Debian

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Andreas Tille <tillea AT rki.de>
  • To: FreeTDS mailing liste <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Packaging FreeTDS for Debian
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:21:29 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

when I announced to build a Debian-Package from FreeTDS-JDBC I was
asked to do it with FreeTDS as well. No I'll possibly use it
myself and I'm considering to package it.

Now I have some questions:

1) What is the purpose of the file

/usr/interfaces

I tried to check the sources but didn't found a place, where it
is really needed.
The reason for this is that it conflicts with the Debian policy
for placing files. If it is really needed it should go anywhere
under /usr/share (because it is a plain ASCII-file and so it
is architecture independent). I'd like to suggest to place it
in
/usr/share/freetds/interfaces
and I'd like to know, if this change would require any changes to
the source.
May be you could think about such kind of location for your
distribution or you could make the location configurable at
compile time.

2) *How* usable is the ODBC driver. While reading the README file,
I wonder if this should/could go into a Debian package. However,
ODBC would be the real clue in the FreeTDS package.

3) I was not able to run the samples from the samples dircetory.
It would be really helpfull for me if someone could give me a
hint, what to fill into the connection data. I run FreeTDS-JDBC
successfully and perhaps somebody could tell me what I have to
write in the configuration section of the three examples, if
I could successfully access my database with the following
JDBC-connection:

Class.forName("com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.Driver");
Class.forName("com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.SybaseDriver");

String url = "jdbc:freetds://sql03/db";
String user = "TestUser" ;
String password = "password";

Connection cx = DriverManager.getConnection(url, user, password);

I have certain problems with the items I have to fill in the
C files.

Kind regards

Andreas.