freetds - freetds_jdbc & JDBC ResultSet question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Steve Sherwood" <stephens AT cabletron.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: freetds_jdbc & JDBC ResultSet question
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:45:02 +0100

Anyone known the answer ?

When you execute a query and get back a ResultSet, and
you loop around using ths next() function, does the MSSQL
server send back the rows one packet at a time, or does it
pack all the rows together into as few packets as possible ?

The main client for my DB App is a win32 MFC application, which
uses ODBC. By default ODBC will send back one row per packet.
When you have several hundred rows, each with only a few bytes
of data, the packet overhead is greater than the information
sent. You have a specifically code for Bulk data fetching..

I was wondering if I need to code around this in JDBC...

Rgds
Steve

---
Steve Sherwood - stephens AT ctron.com - (01635) 810517
| Just like Pariah I have no name | Never feed your cat |
| Living in a blaze of obscurity | anything that clashes |
| Need courage to survive the day | with the carpet... |
(A)bort (R)etry (I)nfluence with large hammer