freetds - Re: Changing from the default database

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT umcc.ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Changing from the default database
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:44:01 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Dan Nguyen wrote:

> After hacking up the makefiles I finally got FreeTDS to compile on the
> Solaris machine at work. I was able to get it to connect to our MSSQL 6.5
> machine using the tdstest program in the example directory.
>
> Is there a way I can change from my default database to another one before
> I preform my sql query?

Hmmm...this depends. If you are using a dblib program, make a call to
dbuse() which is just a convience function that executes "use <dbname>".
If using something like sqsh, pass a -D option with the database name.

The TDS layer is not really designed to be call directly from a client
program, it is a support layer for the CLI (call level interface), which
is either dblib, ctlib, or ODBC, (there has been mention of a DBI
interface as well).

I am also interested in how you got Solaris to work, the question has been
raised a few times.

Brian