fingerlakespermaculture - pawpaws... from Apios Institute to PAN

  • From: Bonita Ford <info AT northeastpermaculture.org>
  • To: NE Permaculture <northeasternpermaculture AT lists.riseup.net>, pan_westernmass_perm AT lists.riseup.net, fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: pawpaws... from Apios Institute to PAN
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2024 12:23:14 -0400

Edible forest garden geeks may be sad to know that the Apios Institute has closed. (Its well-respected board members have included Dave Jacke, Eric Toensmeier, Jonathan Bates, and Gerardo Ruiz.)

PAN, however, is grateful to have adopted the data from the Apios wiki! For the coming year, our ideas include:
-Online member gatherings to share experiences about specific species and polycultures.
-Features on our website about specific species and polycultures.
-Support for and promotion of more local, in-person gatherings (eg. permablitzes) across the Northeast region.

To celebrate this change, PAN will be sharing three new articles featuring information from the Apios wiki–written by Eric Toensmeier, edited by Bonita Eloise Ford, and sponsored by Apios Institute–over the next couple of months.

Pawpaw: A Favorite Native Edible Plant

Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) is almost our largest native edible fruit. While the related pond apple (Annona glabra) is larger, it tastes terrible. Pawpaw fruit is creamy, sweet, and rich—it tastes great!

It is surprising that pawpaw is not more commonly grown. It has virtually no pest problems and, in fact, many related plants are used to make pesticides in the tropics. ...

READ THE FULL ARTICLE on pawpaws:
https://northeastpermaculture.org/apios-to-pan/

Also check out the “Permaculture Climate Response” online workshop led by Eric and Bonita. EARLY BIRD TICKETS until September 29!

  • pawpaws... from Apios Institute to PAN, Bonita Ford, 09/12/2024