fingerlakespermaculture - Bee Hotel class, Wed 3/7; Seed Starting class Sat 3/10

  • From: "Chrys B. Gardener" <cab69 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: "Fingerlakes Permaculture List (fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org) (fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org)" <fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "Sandra J. Repp" <sjr37 AT cornell.edu>, Jennie Rebecca Cramer <jrc10 AT cornell.edu>
  • Subject: Bee Hotel class, Wed 3/7; Seed Starting class Sat 3/10
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 19:23:22 +0000

Get ready for spring! Still a few spaces left in these two classes.

Make a Bee Hotel for Native Pollinators

Wednesday March 7, 6:30-8:30 pm

CCE Tompkins, 615 Willow Avenue, Ithaca

Cost: $10 per person – includes cost of materials

Help increase populations of native bees in your yard and garden with a handmade bee hotel! Native solitary bees, like mason bees and leafcutter bees, are gentle, easy to raise, and are as important for pollinating as honey bees.

Jacob Johnston from Cornell’s Lab of Ornithology will give a presentation on the life cycle of these fascinating native insects and show you how to make a bee hotel to attract them to your garden. Materials will be provided for participants to make bee hotels to take home.

REGISTER & PAY ONLINE HERE, or call 272-2292 to register by phone.

Seed Starting

Saturday March 10, 10 am – 12 pm

CCE Tompkins, 615 Willow Avenue, Ithaca

Cost: $7-$10/person self-determined sliding scale

Grow everything from artichokes to zucchini from seed at home. Save money and enjoy the miraculous process of seed germination and plant growth in your home to get you through these last weeks of winter and get your garden started early. We’ll cover techniques such as cold stratification and scarification as well as simple recipes for making your own potting and fertilizer mixes to save even more money. We’ll talk about tools such as grow lights and heat mats and soil blocks. All participants will leave with a few starts to take home.

Instructor Jennie Cramer is our Horticulture Program Manager and coordinates our Master Gardener Volunteer  Program. She is a former conservation biologist with a passion for organic gardening, regenerative agriculture, natural history and botanical education. She is especially smitten with the intricacies of seeds.

Go to REGISTER & PAY ONLINE HERE to register online, or call 272-2292 to register by phone.

Chrys Gardener
Commercial/Community Horticulture Educator
Cornell Cooperative Extension - Tompkins County
615 Willow Avenue, Ithaca NY 14850
(607)272-2292, extension 241
www.ccetompkins.org

  • Bee Hotel class, Wed 3/7; Seed Starting class Sat 3/10, Chrys B. Gardener, 03/06/2018