fingerlakespermaculture - LEARN TO PRUNE in our FREE Citizen Pruner classes starting 4/6!

  • From: "Sandra J. Repp" <sjr37 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: TC-HSC-L <TC-HSC-L AT list.cornell.edu>, SUSTAINABLE_TOMPKINS-L <SUSTAINABLE_TOMPKINS-L AT list.cornell.edu>, "Fingerlakes Permaculture List (fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org)" <fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Monika Roth <mr55 AT cornell.edu>, "Patricia A. Curran" <pc21 AT cornell.edu>, "Maribea M. Marranca" <mmm10 AT cornell.edu>, "Kathy L. Jett" <klj27 AT cornell.edu>
  • Subject: LEARN TO PRUNE in our FREE Citizen Pruner classes starting 4/6!
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 16:26:27 +0000

FREE Citizen Pruner Training Series
(4) Mondays, April 6, 13 & 20 @ 7:00-8:30pm and April 27 @ 5:30-7:00pm
at Cornell Cooperative Extension of Tompkins County, 615 Willow Avenue, Ithaca NY

Would you like to learn the correct way to prune trees and shrubs, as well as how to select a tree that will do well at your site, and to plant it correctly?

Our FREE Citizen Pruner Training series will cover all this and MORE! No experience necessary.

Members of the general public and prospective volunteers are invited to take one or more of the following FREE classes:

  • (4/6) Growing Trees in Difficult Sites covers selection and planting, with Dr. Nina Bassuk, Director of the Cornell Urban Horticulture Institute and chair of the City of Ithaca Shade Tree advisory committee
  • (4/13) Pruning Trees-Tools & Techniques with Jeanne Grace, City of Ithaca Forester, and Keith Vanderhye of Limbwalker Tree Care
  • (4/20) Pruning Shrubs with Monika Roth, CCE-Tompkins Ag Educator
  • (4/27) Outdoor Demonstration

Please pre-register for 1 or more class by calling CCE-Tompkins at (607) 272-2292 or email Maria at mjc72 AT cornell.edu.  Classes are free and open to the public as well as to people who want to become a Citizen Pruner volunteers!

Volunteer with the Citizen Pruners:
If you already know that you like pruning – or you discover that you enjoy it in these workshops -- completing this class series will qualify you to join the Citizen Pruner volunteers, a group that helps to care for Ithaca’s street trees.  Get outside, meet people, help our trees, and help make Ithaca more beautiful!  For over 20 years, the Citizen Pruner Volunteer Program has recruited volunteers to work during May to October on shaping young trees for strength and form.  Training a young tree as it grows helps improve the longevity of the tree by removing poorly attached branches that may split off.  Citizen pruner volunteers receive training during 3 classroom sessions and during the weekly work sessions where the work they do is overseen by Cooperative Extension or City Forestry staff.  To sign up for the pruning classes or to receive a volunteer job description, call (607) 272-2292.  Questions? Contact Monika Roth at mr55 AT cornell.edu or (607) 272-2292.

  • LEARN TO PRUNE in our FREE Citizen Pruner classes starting 4/6!, Sandra J. Repp, 04/04/2015