fingerlakespermaculture - Upcoming Gardening Classes and Permaculture events

  • From: "Sandra J. Repp" <sjr37 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: "Fingerlakes Permaculture List (fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org)" <fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org>, SUSTAINABLE_TOMPKINS-L <SUSTAINABLE_TOMPKINS-L AT list.cornell.edu>, TC-HSC-L <TC-HSC-L AT list.cornell.edu>, NWAEG-L <NWAEG-L AT list.cornell.edu>
  • Cc: "Chrys B. Gardener" <cab69 AT cornell.edu>
  • Subject: Upcoming Gardening Classes and Permaculture events
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 15:57:44 +0000

Insect Identification Class

Tuesday September 9, 6 – 8 pm

@ CCE Tompkins, 615 Willow Avenue, Ithaca

Learning to identify insects in your home garden is a valuable skill. Some insects are beneficial and others are pests so it's very helpful to know the difference.  We will go through the major orders of insects, look at different types of damage to plants by insects, and practice identification skills on insect samples. There will also be information on dealing with major pests using non-toxic methods. Please call 272-2292 to register in advance, so we know how many handouts to make and can contact you in the event of a schedule change! Fee: $5-$10/person self-determined sliding scale.

Permaculture Park volunteer session and potluck

Thursday September 11 from 4-8 pm

@ Ithaca Permaculture Park, Franklin Street, Ithaca

Join us for the last event in the Permaculture Park this year! We will plant some fruit trees and finish sheet mulching, swap edible and utilitarian perennials, then gather for a potluck in the park to celebrate our first year and talk about future plans for the park. If it's raining the potluck will be held at CCE-Tompkins, 615 Willow Avenue.  (My apologies for scheduling this on the same night as MG training – it was the only date both Josh and I are available.)

Permaculture, People and Plants Tour: Hemlock Grove Farm

Saturday September 13, 10-11:30 am

@ 180 Walding Lane, Spencer

Free event! Tour a mature nut grove planted with hazelnuts and chestnuts, learn about nut tree cultivation and sample some ripe nuts. (Hemlock Grove is located on Walding Lane, off Rt. 34/96 between West Danby and Spencer.) No need to pre-register – just show up at Hemlock Grove.

Seed Saving: Harvesting, Cleaning, Storing and Drying Seeds

Monday September 15, 6-8 pm

@ CCE Tompkins, 615 Willow Avenue, Ithaca

Seed saving is a fun skill that can save you money on yearly seed expenses. We will harvest and clean seeds from the CCE seed-saving garden, including tomatoes. beans, lettuce and summer squash. Participants will get hands-on experience harvesting and cleaning seeds to take home for their own gardens. A selection of heirloom tomatoes will be available for participants to taste and take home to extract seeds for next year's garden. Please call 272-2292 to register in advance, so we know how many handouts to make and can contact you in the event of a schedule change! Fee: $5-$10/person self-determined sliding scale.

Ash Seed Collection Workshop

Thursday September 18, 12-3 pm

@ CCE Tompkins, 615 Willow Avenue, Ithaca

Free workshop!

Native seed collection is imperative for the preservation, conservation and reclamation of plant communities in decline. Face with the loss of Ash species as a result of the Emerald Ash Borer, the Mid-Atlantic Regional Seed Bank and the USFS National Seed Lab are collecting ash seed across New York State for preservation. Collecting seed is a fast and inexpensive way to reserve germplasm. By conserving the genetic diversity of ash species before the populations are lost, we have more opportunities to adequately restore the species to the landscape once a successful biological control is found.  Participants of this workshop will be introduced to the protocol for collecting Ash seed, learn how to identify Ash species and learn about preserving genetic diversity through seed. It is our hope that the information you gain from this workshop will result in your contribution of ash seed collections to both MARSB and the National Ash Conservation Project. To register for this workshop, please contact organizer Clara Moore at clara.holmes AT parks.nyc.gov or 718-370-9044. Please bring water, lunch, sun protection, bug repellent, appropriate outdoor clothing and a field notebook.

Yardworks: Planting for Native Birds

Thursday September 18, 6-7:30 pm

@ Permaculture Park (Conley Park, between the Sciencenter and Neighborhood Pride near CCE)

Free workshop! In this free, hands-on class participants will help design and plant a native garden in the Ithaca Permaculture Park (aka Conley Park). This is an opportunity to learn about native plants that provide food and habitat for native birds and pollinators as well as best practices for planting trees and shrubs. This is an outdoor hands-on class so please come dressed for the weather! Tools and gloves will be provided. With Chrys Gardener and Josh Dolan.

For more information, please contact:

Chrys Gardener
Commercial/Community Horticulture Educator
Cornell Cooperative Extension - Tompkins County
615 Willow Avenue, Ithaca NY 14850
(607)272-2292, extension 241
www.ccetompkins.org

  • Upcoming Gardening Classes and Permaculture events, Sandra J. Repp, 09/08/2014