fingerlakespermaculture - Saturday July 12- Homesteading Trail Open House

  • From: "Chrys B. Gardener" <cab69 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: "Fingerlakes Permaculture List (fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org) (fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org)" <fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Saturday July 12- Homesteading Trail Open House
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 17:37:11 +0000

Homesteading Trail: Open House

Saturday, July 12th

Curious about Homesteading?

IthaCan is partnering with Groundswell  and Cornell Cooperative Extension of Tompkins County for our first annual Homesteading Open House Trail.  This outreach event will educate the public on the homesteading lifestyle via sites (homesteads) holding "open house" style tours. The sites will cover a range of homesteading practices and offer the attendees a look into the practical, real-life implementation of contemporary homesteading.

See below for features and open hours of our hosting homesteads. Tours are child-friendly and will take place rain or shine. Arrive anytime during open hours. There is no cost involved, although some locations will have produce/products for sale. Come enjoy the peaceful, hard-working lifestyles of our featured homesteaders!

Register for this event.

2014 FEATURED HOMESTEAD SITES (scroll down for details):

  • The 1817 Homestead
  • The Dacha Project
  • Peasant Dreams Farm
  • The Quarry House
  • White Hawk Ecovillage

The 1817 Homestead - 5111 Perry City Rd, Trumansburg, NY 14886 (11:00am-4:00pm) We are an aspiring homesteading family that works & plays joyfully on our 7-acre old homestead that dates back to 1817!

  • Family dairy cows - Jerseys - in milk (come milk the cow!)
  • Nigerian dwarf goats - come meet the baby, just 2 months old!
  • Chickens & Ducks - Eggs for Sale $3/dz
  • Fruit trees (apple, pear, peach, cherry) & Bushes (assort. berries)
  • Raised-bed Vegetable Garden - may have excess produce for sale
  • Irish "Lazy-bed" potatoes
  • Grain mill & flaker
  • Canning, dehydrating, etc.
  • Brewing, vinegars, & extracts
  • Brick Smokehouse
  • Historical tour for those interested: original outhouse, house history, etc.

Important Details: Hours open: 11am-4pm. GPS and map programs are all accurate for our address. Please do not park on the grass.

The Dacha Project - 700 N. Wood Rd, Freeville, NY 13068 (12:00pm - 3:00pm) The Dacha Project, founded in 2008, is a do-it-yourself, egalitarian and educational homestead.

  • Community gardens - large
  • Waste veggie power
  • Active & Passive Solar power
  • Straw-bale & earth berm construction
  • Off-grid home
  • Fruit orchard (young)
  • Berry patch (young)

Peasant Dreams Farm - 52 Sodom Rd, Ithaca, 14850 (1:00pm - 4:00pm) is an organic homestead run by the Quinn-Jacobs family in the Ellis Hollow area, featuring:

  • Romney sheep
  • Wool products
  • Grain mill & flaker
  • 2 Chambered root cellar
  • Wood cookstove
  • Summer kitchen
  • Greenhouse
  • Hand water pump
  • Solar hot water
  • Solar electric
  • Family fruit & nut orchard
  • Berry patch
  • Chickens
  • Vegetable gardens
  • Cover crops

Stone Quarry House - 26 Quarry Rd, Ithaca, NY 14850 (12:00pm - 3:00pm) A family homestead and Inn.

  • Laying chicken & duck hens
  • Root Cellar
  • Vermiculture
  • Composting Toilet
  • Young fruit trees
  • Gardens
  • Grapes
  • Cheese Making
  • Heat Exchanger
  • Solar PV for house and auto

Important Details: Hours open: 12pm-3pm. Be sure address is QUARRY ROAD. Ithaca also has a Stone Quarry Road and a Quarry Street, so use caution! The property is fenced and gated, but the gate opens automatically when car hits pressure plate. Please park in front of the garage first, and then in the parking spaces facing the woods.

White Hawk Ecovillage - White Hawk Ln, Danby NY 14850 (1:00pm - 4:00pm) Our community promotes homesteading and the production of food, fuel, and fiber on our 120 acre site as a path to both affordability and sustainability.

  • Community and backyard gardens - room to grow food for your family
  • Orchard areas - apples, pears, apricots, nuts, etc.
  • Walipini - "underground" greenhouse can support tropical plants (under construction)
  • Beekeeping - pollination support plus honey/wax production
  • Soapmaking - production of soap on site
  • Multiple chicken "cooperatives" (eggs & meat birds)
  • Local sweetener production - sugar beets, sorghum
  • Permaculture projects
  • Solar electric

Important Details: Hours open: 1pm-4pm. (Danby Fun Day parade may limit access to site if you arrive early.) If you do not have the latest GPS maps or Google, look for 1704 Danby Rd. and then turn west at the brightly painted bus shelter on White Hawk Ln (gravel road) to get to the village. Please park in the designated parking area. Site maps will be available highlighting points of interest.

--

Joanna Green, Director
Groundswell Center for Local Food & Farming

Support your local food system! Become a Groundswell Member at www.groundswellcenter.org.

To unsubscribe from "CCE-TompkinsStaff-L AT cornell.edu" contact Theresa at tee1 AT cornell.edu

  • Saturday July 12- Homesteading Trail Open House, Chrys B. Gardener, 07/03/2014