fingerlakespermaculture - Natural Beekeeping Workshop, Vermont, May 26, 2012

  • From: "Michael Burns" <michael AT fingerlakespermaculture.org>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Natural Beekeeping Workshop, Vermont, May 26, 2012
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 10:52:02 -0400

From: "Keith F. Morris" <keith AT prospectrock.org>

Natural Beekeeping
May 26, 2012

This year's natural beekeeping workshop will be Saturday, May 26 and promises
exciting information for both new and experienced beekeepers alike!

The honeybee is an insect that has long been in partnership with humankind.
Now, more than ever, the bees are in need of our attention and appreciation.

We will discuss the current plight of the bees, and present solution-oriented
information about renewing and reshaping this ancient relationship.  We
discuss bees within larger pollinator complexes, the natural ecology of bees
and their roles in their native habitats, non-traditional products and
medicines of the hive, planting for pollinator support, top-bar hive
beekeeping, and other techniques- new and old from near and far- inspiring
renewed health of honeybees and pollinators in general.

Most importantly, we'll spend time in the hives (weather permitting- looks
nice!), looking at Langstroth, Top Bar, and Warre hives HANDS ON and comparing
their advantages for different goals in beekeeping.  We keep exceptionally
tame bees and support an extremely safe environment, but working in the hive
is completely optional.

SAM COMFORT has been keeping bees all over the United States, breeding queens
from Russian stock (originally smuggled into the country in our friend's bra),
and is is the founder of Anarchy Apiaries.  Since apprenticing at Honey
Gardens Apiaries  in Vermont 10 years ago, he has gone on to become one of the
nation's leading examples and pioneers in treatment free, bee-centered
apiculture.

KEITH MORRIS once managed over 1200 hives for a commercial beekeeping
operation, and now experiments with alternative hives and native pollinator
support on his farm in Johnson.  In 2006, he was recruited by USAID Farmer to
Farmer to help develop products from the hive with beekeepers in Nigeria and
Ghana.  He is Professor of Permaculture and Ecological Design at the
University of Vermont and Sterling College.

Saturday May 26, 10 am to 4 pm

Pre-Registration is required, space is limited!

$60 suggested donation, sliding scale includes honey and mead tasting, and
light farm sourced lunch. No one will be refused for lack of funds, but you
must still pre-register.
http://prospectrockpermaculture.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/natural-beekeeping-may-26/

Please send a check to ensure your space:
Prospect Rock Permaculture
PO Box 426
Jeffersonville, VT 05464

Details and more information can be found at www.prospectrock.org
Or email keith AT prospectrock.org or call (802) 734-1129

###
Earn your Permaculture Design Certificate
with the Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org
###

  • Natural Beekeeping Workshop, Vermont, May 26, 2012, Michael Burns, 05/19/2012