fingerlakespermaculture - May 1 Event for Gas Free Seneca (Watkins Glen, NY)

  • From: "Michael Burns" <michael AT fingerlakespermaculture.org>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: May 1 Event for Gas Free Seneca (Watkins Glen, NY)
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:19:57 -0400

From: "GAS FREE SENECA" <gasfreeseneca AT gmail.com>

It has been just over a year since Gas Free Seneca was formed, and the Seneca
at a Crossroads forum was held in Watkins Glen. Since then, we have made great
strides in the effort to preserve the local sustainable economy, protect our
health and safety, and preserve our way of life in this region.

Yet there is still great work to be done. Our region faces economic and
environmental challenges. The area is being considered for hydrofracking, gas
storage and transport, and frack-related industry in the industrial park on
Route 14. We need to continue to inform the community, to learn together, and
to connect with our local decision-makers.

As such, we are planning to host an event on Tuesday, May 1st, 7:00pm, at the
Glen Theater. Our goal is to provide an opportunity for the community to
learn together about the connection between the health of our bodies and the
health of our air, land, and water. We will screen the film Living
Downstream, a documentary based on the acclaimed book by ecologist and
cancer survivor Sandra Steingraber, Ph.D.

Dr. Steingraber has a strong bond with Watkins Glen. Her son, Elijah, was
born here, in Seneca Lake water. She has offered to attend the screening, to
speak, answer questions, and do a book signing.

*Here is where you come in: Please attend the screening. Please spread the
word, and invite any local decision-makers you know to the event.*

We remain at a tipping point here on Seneca Lake. Do we need more heavy
industry around the lake, or do we have enough? What effect will an increase
in heavy industry have on the wine and tourism businesses in the region? How
will heavy industry impact our agriculture, our health, our safety, our way of
life? We have a lot of work to do, and your help in turning the May 1st event
into a well-attended community forum is critical.

Please contact us at: gasfreeseneca AT gmail.com with any questions or offers to
help!

Thank you!

Yvonne Taylor
Co-Founder, Gas Free Seneca

###
Earn your Permaculture Design Certificate
with the Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org
###
Dear Gas Free Seneca Supporter,

[...]

Here is where you come in:  Please attend the screening.  Please spread the word, and invite any local decision-makers you know to the event.  Please print and post the attached flyer.

We remain at a tipping point here on Seneca Lake.  Do we need more heavy industry around the lake, or do we have enough?  What effect will an increase in heavy industry have on the wine and tourism businesses in the region?  How will heavy industry impact our agriculture, our health, our safety, our way of life?  We have a lot of work to do, and your help in turning the May 1st event into a well-attended community forum is critical.

Please contact us at: gasfreeseneca AT gmail.com with any questions or offers to help!  Thank you!

Yvonne Taylor
Co-Founder, Gas Free Seneca

  • May 1 Event for Gas Free Seneca (Watkins Glen, NY), Michael Burns, 04/20/2012