fingerlakespermaculture - Fwd: PLEASE ATTEND the Farm Bill Field Hearing in NY!

  • From: Stephanie Colombo <st.colombo AT gmail.com>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org, Cornell Small Farms Program <vws7 AT cornell.edu>, Amara Hartley Steinkraus <ahs47 AT cornell.edu>, Audrey Baker <audreyzelda AT gmail.com>, dct001 AT mymail.tc3.edu, Joshua Dolan <sapsquatch7 AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Fwd: PLEASE ATTEND the Farm Bill Field Hearing in NY!
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 19:53:03 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Udi Lazimy <udi AT ofrf.org>
Date: Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Subject: PLEASE ATTEND the Farm Bill Field Hearing in NY!
To: Udi Lazimy <udi AT ofrf.org>

Dear Supporter of Organic Farming,

It's not every day, or even every year, that you have the opportunity to participate in the formulation of federal legislation that determines the direction of agriculture in the United States. Every 5 years, Congress takes up the Farm Bill, and the time for the 2012 Farm Bill debate has come. In New York, you have a unique opportunity to influence the Farm Bill's potential to support organic agriculture because the Chair of the House Agriculture Committee is holding a Farm Bill Field Hearing on March 9th in Saranac Lake, New York!

What: House Agriculture Committee Field Hearing

When: Friday, March 9th, 20129:00am EST

Where: North Country Community College, Sparks Athletic Complex

              23 Santanoni Ave, Saranac Lake, NY 12983

We urge you to join the organic farming community in the Northeast in letting the U.S. House Agriculture Committee know just how important organic agriculture is to America and how critical it is to promote organic ag programs in the 2012 Farm Bill.

There will likely be an opportunity to make comments at the hearing. Here is an example of something YOU can say:

"Organic agriculture is one of the fastest growing sectors of agriculture, creating jobs in rural America and lucrative market opportunities for American family farmers. How do you plan to promote and protect organic farming and farmers in the 2012 Farm Bill?"

Why Should I Show Up?

Negotiations are under way to determine what will and will not be included in the 2012 Farm Bill. Substantial budget cuts are being proposed, both to mandatory 2008 Farm Bill programs, and to programs that would likely otherwise be included in the 2012 Farm Bill. We understand the need to reduce spending, but Congress should take a fair and balanced approach, and not only single out specific programs that benefit organic farmers. We need Congressman Lucas and the House Agriculture Committee to see how much support there is for protecting funding for organic agriculture and conservation programs in the next Farm Bill. We need you, the farmers and farm supporters, to show up.

What's At Stake?

A few of the organic programs that are funded in the 2008 Farm Bill that need to be re-funded in the 2012 Farm Bill include the following:

·         Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative (OREI)

Administered by USDA’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture, OREI is USDA’s flagship competitive grants program dedicated to organic research and extension activities.  OREI funds research projects on organic agricultural systems, ranging from improving weed management and developing organic seed to enhancing environmental sustainability and carbon sequestration on organic farms.

·         National Organic Certification Cost-share Program (NOCCSP)

This cost-share program helps certified organic farmers and handlers offset the costs of certification by providing a small reimbursement of no more that $750 per year.

·         Organic Production and Market Data Initiatives (ODI)

A small but significant initiative, ODI received $5 million over five years in the last farm bill to fund basic USDA data collection on the organic sector.

·         Environmental Quality Incentives Program Organic Initiative (EQIP OI) and Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP)

USDA National Resource Conservation Programs that provide financial incentives for farmers to conserve land for environmental benefits and to implement practices, such as organic agricultural methods, that are environmentally sustainable.

·         National Organic Program (NOP)

NOP enforces the national organic program standards, accredits certifiers, develops equivalency agreements, handles complaints – in essence, NOP ensures the integrity of the organic seal.

According to the announcement about the hearing from Congressman Frank Lucas:

"Field hearings represent one of the best parts of writing the farm bill because it gives us a chance to see the countryside and visit with folks who are directly impacted by our policy decisions in Washington. Agricultural policy affects every American; ensuring that our farmers and ranchers have the necessary tools they need to continue to produce an affordable and stable food supply is as important to our country as national defense. It's critical to all of us that we get it right. I look forward to hearing from our producers and from those who live and work in rural America," said Chairman Frank Lucas.

Let's show up and share with Congressman Lucas and the House Agriculture Committee our support for organics in the 2012 Farm Bill!

Please let us know if you plan to attend, and report back about how it went!

Also, please don't hesitate to contact Udi Lazimy (udi AT ofrf.org) at the Organic Farming Research Foundation  with any questions.

Thank you,

Udi Lazimy, National Policy Organizer
Organic Farming Research Foundation
303 Potrero St. #29-203
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
p: (831) 426-6606 x 109
c: (303) 579-8592
f: (831) 426-6670
udi AT ofrf.org
www.ofrf.org
Join our Action Network today! For more info, visit:
http://ofrf.org/subscribe/ofan.html

--
Sincerely,

Stephanie Colombo
321-331-3719

  • Fwd: PLEASE ATTEND the Farm Bill Field Hearing in NY!, Stephanie Colombo, 03/03/2012