fingerlakespermaculture - 2/9 FreeSkool class: Intro to Fermentation

  • From: Rachel Firak <rfirak AT gmail.com>
  • To: List Serve <TC-HSC-L AT cornell.edu>, nwaeg-l AT cornell.edu, farm-l AT cornell.edu, BJMPTA AT yahoogroups.com, ithaca-list AT googlegroups.com, sustainable_tompkins-l AT list.cornell.edu, fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.mutualaid.org, fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org, go-nofa AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: 2/9 FreeSkool class: Intro to Fermentation
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 09:48:17 -0500

2/9 Intro to Fermentation - Bacteria, Yeasts and Molds - Making Vinegar, Switchel and Shrub

When: Thursday, February 9th, 6:30 - 8 pm
Where: Downtown Ithaca (RSVP for location)

Cost: FREE and open to the public
Please bring: A small glass jar with a lid, if you have one.

What are fermented foods? In this class, we’ll talk about some of the organisms (bacteria, yeasts and molds) that culture foods, where they come from, and the various ways human beings have propagated them. We’ll also discuss cultured foods you can make “from scratch”- without already having a starter piece of the culture. We’ll conclude with a demonstration of how to make vinegar from scratch, and a few tasty beverages (shrub and switchel) that can be made with it.

RSVP to Rachel at rfirak AT gmail.com or 440 242 9646 for location. This class is special diet/food allergy friendly; in your RSVP, please indicate any dietary restrictions you have.

This class is part of a six-part FreeSkool series on Fermented Beverages, held every other Thursday evening. Come to one or all of them!

Intro to Fermented Beverages: A six-part series
Learn how to make raw, living, plant-based fermented beverages! Fermented foods have been consumed for thousands of years and are healthful, delicious, inexpensive, simple, and fun. In this class we'll meet twice a month to study and drink low/non-alcoholic vegan fermented beverages, from ferment celebrities (kombucha, ginger beer, nut milk) to more obscure characters (boza, amazake, and tibicos). We'll also discuss fermented food safety and regulation, health benefits, and the current literature on B12 in fermented foods. Starter cultures will be provided. This class is special diet/food allergy friendly; RSVP with dietary needs.

Thursdays: 2/9, 2/23, 3/8, 3/22, 4/5, 4/19, 6:30-8 pm

--
Rachel Firak
New Farmer Training Coordinator

Helping diverse learners develop the skills, knowledge and access to resources they need to build more equitable and sustainable local food systems

  • 2/9 FreeSkool class: Intro to Fermentation, Rachel Firak, 02/02/2012