fingerlakespermaculture - FEMA funds for well & septic repairs post-flood

  • From: Michael Burns <michael AT fingerlakespermaculture.org>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: FEMA funds for well & septic repairs post-flood
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 17:46:43 -0400

Wells and Septic Systems May be Eligible for FEMA Assistance

Release Date: September 14, 2011
Release Number: 4020-027

ALBANY, N.Y. -- New York residents in disaster-declared localities, whose wells or septic systems were damaged as a result of the late August flooding, may be eligible for financial assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to complete necessary repairs.

Homeowners in declared areas may be eligible for grant funding to pump septic tanks, perform required repairs or replace the system as needed. Damaged private wells that are the sole source of water for the home also may be repaired or decontaminated.

"We don't want anyone living in a house with contaminated water or exposed to raw sewage," said Philip E. Parr, Federal Coordinating Officer with FEMA. "Applicants for state and federal disaster assistance should advise the FEMA inspector that they have a private well and septic system."

Home-repair grants are designed to restore the home to a livable and sanitary condition. To qualify for this disaster assistance, applicants must own their home and the home must be their primary residence. Grants are not intended to restore a home to pre-disaster condition and cannot be used for cosmetic repairs or repairs covered by insurance.

There are two easy ways to begin the application process. Call the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-3362. Individuals with speech or hearing impairments can call TTY at 1-800-462-7585. Multilingual assistance is available by phone. The toll-free line is open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET, seven days a week until further notice. Applicants can also register online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or with a web-enabled mobile device or smartphone at m.fema.gov. Follow the link to "apply online for federal assistance."

The deadline to apply is October 29, 2011.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Modified: Wednesday, 14-Sep-2011 13:42:17

###

Amy Galford
Extension Associate, Water Quality
College of Human Ecology, Cornell University
271 HEB, FSAD, Ithaca NY 14853
607-255-1943

http://flxpermaculture.net

  • FEMA funds for well & septic repairs post-flood, Michael Burns, 09/21/2011