fingerlakespermaculture - 8/25: Share Tompkins Visioning Meeting

  • From: Shira Golding <shiragolding AT gmail.com>
  • To: sharetompkins AT lists.aktivix.org, Sustainability in Tompkins County <sustainable_tompkins-l AT list.cornell.edu>, TC-HSC-L AT cornell.edu, fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: 8/25: Share Tompkins Visioning Meeting
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 09:22:01 -0400

Share Tompkins Visioning Meeting

Thursday, August 25, 6-8pm
Owl Cafe above Autumn Leaves book store
115 The Commons
Ithaca, New York

RSVP on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=245494768815650

Share Tompkins has been going strong now for over two years! During that time, we've had an event almost every month and we have really energized local sharing culture. More and more groups are organizing swaps both in partnership with and independently of Share Tompkins and now there is a new locally-produced website called Swidjit (http://swidjit.com/ithaca ) that makes sharing and bartering online even easier for our community. Along the way, we've been featured in the New York Times, Yes! Magazine and Positive News and were recognized as a "Sign of Sustainability" by Sustainable Tompkins.

So what's next? We could keep doing more of the same, but those of us who are core event organizers are getting a bit fatigued, so others would have to really step up to run these gatherings. Alternatively, we could focus more on promoting other groups' events and perhaps organize only one or two Really Really Free Markets and/or Swaps a year. Another thing that I'd like to offer is more "meta" events in which we discuss strategies for bartering effectively and attempt to ignite more sharing groups like toolshares, resilience circles, etc.

There are, of course, lots of other things we could do. So we're having a meeting to see where people's energy is and move forward with a collective vision!

Please feel welcome to come and participate even if you have never been to an organizers' meeting before!

- Shira :)

Share Tompkins: http://sharetompkins.wordpress.com

  • 8/25: Share Tompkins Visioning Meeting, Shira Golding, 08/18/2011