fingerlakespermaculture - Free Online Tool for Farmers Markets

  • From: Michael Burns <michael AT fingerlakespermaculture.org>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Free Online Tool for Farmers Markets
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 23:51:14 -0400

From: Small Farm Central <info AT smallfarmcentral.com>

Hi All!

Hope all is well wherever you are.

Just wanted to tell you about our latest tool; we are really excited about it since it has been a couple years in the making.

Farming Faces is a tool for markets (and other groups of farmers) to set-up a mini-website that maps the vendors at their market and includes a live feed that connects to each farmer's facebook, twitter, a blog (if available). The idea is that these sites will be kept constantly "fresh" by capitalizing on the tools that are already being used.

I grew up on a farm and ran a CSA myself, so I know how hard it is to fit marketing in between all the other activities on a farm. We didn't want to create another point of failure and another "job" for farmers, so the Farming Faces sites will maximize the return on investment for the marketing time that farmers can spend on it.

Best of all, this service is *free* in support the other work we do with farmers. This service will remain free although we will add advanced paid services in the future.

Farmers market managers we have shown this to so far are really impressed with how easy it is to use and what a powerful tool it is to market their farmers. Just seeing a map of where all their vendors come from is really interesting because they have never had a way to create a comprehensive map before.

If you want to see an example check this one out:

Get more info and sign-up for a tour of the service at:

We look forward to your feedback!

-Simon Huntley
Lead Developer. Small Farm Central, LLC
Websites and ecommerce for direct-marketing farmers
http://www.smallfarmcentral.com
412-567-3864

regional regenerative resources

  • Free Online Tool for Farmers Markets, Michael Burns, 08/04/2011