fingerlakespermaculture - Primitive Pursuits Spring Calendar

  • From: Sandra Repp <sjr37 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: tc-HSC-L AT cornell.edu, sustainable_tompkins-l AT list.cornell.edu, fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Timothy Drake <primitivepursuits AT hotmail.com>
  • Subject: Primitive Pursuits Spring Calendar
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:50:48 -0400

Primitive Pursuits Spring Calendar
After-school, Home School, School break -Teen & Adult Programs

To register for any of the following programs, or for more information, visit  www.primitivepursuits.com, call (607) 272-2292, ext.195, or email PrimitivePursuits AT cornell.edu.

AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS

After School Program at Eco-Village
Tuesdays, March 22–June 14 (no program 4/19) 3:30-5:45pm
at EcoVillage, Rachel Carson Way, Ithaca NY
 A 12-week spring session for youth ages 6-12. Come discover the mysteries in your backyard, and gather natural resources for food, fire, and fun!  Build a base camp in the diverse forest on the West Hill, and find yourself at home in the wild as you learn the trees and tracks around you. Craft tools, play games, and bring home your own tales of adventure each week. Cost: $140 - $210 (self-determined sliding scale)

Wilderness Explorers After School program
Wednesdays, March 23–June 15 (no program 4/20, 5/18), 2:30-5:00pm
at 4-H Acres, 418 Lower Creek Road, Ithaca NY
An 11-week spring session for students in grades 3-5. What do you get when you cross several hundred acres of diverse wild spaces, skilled wilderness instructors, and a group of students eager for adventure? Come join the fun and you’ll find out! As one parent summed it up “My son wants to live with your staff at Primitive Pursuits” Activities will include: fire-by-friction, navigation skills, edible/medicinal plant use, team and solo challenges, shelter building, and primitive tool-crafting. Cost: $175 - $255 (self-determined sliding scale).  Add $25 per child for Pick up and Drop off @ School (BJM, Fall Creek)

Belle Sherman Elementary After School Program
Mondays, March 21-June 13, 2:00-4:30pm
(3 options available, below)
For 2nd–5th grade students of BSE
What do you want your child to do after school today? How about sending them out into the world of singing birds and bursting spring buds to learn about themselves and the wilderness all around? Through games played and stories told in the woods outside their school, we will begin to learn to recognize the many unique species of trees, plants and animals that call Ithaca home. While making crafts & tools from natural materials children will touch on broader concepts of geology and ecology. We will explore and learn together, following trails of time and our animal neighbors.  Primitive Pursuits welcomes your child to the outdoors with safe, fun challenges and adventures that are not to be missed.
Early Spring session (5 weeks): March 21 – April 25 (no program 4/18). Cost: sliding scale of $65-$90
Late Spring session (6 weeks): May 2 – June 13 (no program 5/30). Cost: sliding scale of $80-$100
Full Spring session (11 weeks): March 21 – June 13 (no program 4/18, 5/30). Cost: sliding scale of $140-$200

South Hill Elementary
(4) Fridays, April 1–May 6 (no program 4/15, 4/22), 2:00-4:30pm
For 3rd–5th grade students of South Hill Elementary
What do you want your child to do after school today? How about sending them out into the world of singing birds and bursting spring buds to learn about themselves and the wilderness all around? Through games played and stories told in the woods outside their school, we will begin to learn to recognize the many unique species of trees, plants and animals that call Ithaca home. While making crafts & tools from natural materials children will touch on broader concepts of geology and ecology. We will explore and learn together, following trails of time and our animal neighbors.  Primitive Pursuits welcomes your child to the outdoors with safe, fun challenges and adventures that are not to be missed. Cost: sliding scale of $60-$90

HOME-SCHOOL PROGRAMS

Spring Tracks & Trails (Ages 5 – 9)
Mondays, March 21–June 13, 11-week session (no program 4/18, 5/30), 9:30am-1:00pm
at EcoVillage, Rachel Carson Way, Ithaca NY
For homeschooled youth ages 5-9 (and their parents). From songs and stories to games, foraging, and fire-building, this spring the adventure continues as the spring sap flows.  Along with our small community of students, parents, experienced instructors, and teen-mentors, we are excited to be joined by red-winged blackbirds, spring peepers, blooming maples, red squirrels, wood nettles, wild mint, and many other special teachers. Come catch the nature-bug with some of the wildest two-leggeds around! Cost: $250-$350, sliding scale.

Youth Nature Awareness Program
Thursdays, March 24–June 16, 12 week session (no program 4/21), 9:00am-1:30pm
at 4-H Acres, 418 Lower Creek Road, Ithaca NY
For homeschooled youth ages 6-14. If you've heard great things about Primitive Pursuits, chances are they happened here! Youth are invited to immerse themselves in a long-term relationship with the wild and empowering world of nature. Through the use of primitive and naturalist skills, stories, games and challenges we are able to create a powerful community experience. Come find out why our longest running program remains our best attended program, and find out why Primitive Pursuits is "Not Your Typical Classroom".
Cost: $350-$450, sliding scale.

TEEN PROGRAMS

NEW! Mentor-In-Training (M.I.T)
Youth ages 14 - 17 may participate at many of our regular scheduled programs as Young Mentors in training. Participants will shadow Primitive Pursuits instructors developing their own set of mentoring tools and learning the skills of an environmental educator. Space is limited and interested teens must apply. As with many trades, apprenticing is perhaps the best way to gain certain valuable skills that shape us as individuals and that we may call upon for the rest of our lives. As a Mentor in Training youth will be receiving just that.
When: Schedules will be created on a case by case basis in conjunction with one of other  regular scheduled programs
Where: Locations will be dependent on site of the program where you are mentoring
Cost: Seasonal fee of $150 - $300 self determined sliding scale allows participants to mentor at as many programs a week as they desire.

Survival on Saturdays (S.O.S) NEW Program!
(4) Saturdays, March 19, April 16, May 7 & June 4, 9:30am–1:30pm
Various natural areas near Ithaca
For youth Aged 14-17  It’s time. You know who you are. You want skills. We want to challenge you. Whether you’re a Primitive Pursuits old-timer, or just ready to dive in, we’ll meet you out there.  Each Saturday will be led by a rotation of your dream team of primitive instructors, including Tim Drake, Akiva Silver, Heidi Bardy, and Luke Learningdeer.
(For those of you who want to know what we’re doing, you’ll know that we’re famous for never telling ahead of time.) Cost: Sliding scale of $75-$150

SCHOOL BREAK PROGRAMS

Spring Camp 2011 (April school break)
Monday, April 18 – Friday, April 22, 9:00am – 3:30pm*
*Early drop-off at 8:30am.  Late pick-up to 5:00pm – pre-registration required.
at 4-H Acres, 418 Lower Creek Road, Ithaca NY
For youth ages 6-14.  Primitive Pursuits is a year-round wilderness immersion program. We offer completely outdoor programs, led by seasoned wilderness instructors. We emphasize mentoring through community building activities, wilderness survival challenges and games, and mastering survival skills and knowledge of the natural world.  At our Spring Camp, each day you will gather plants for food, tea, and tool-crafting, follow tracks to the animal world, hone fire skills at your base camp, and explore beautiful wild places. We hope to see you there!
Cost: Choose from three options: (self-determined sliding scale)
#1) Monday & Tuesday  $110-$165
#2) Wednesday to Friday $150-$225
#3) Monday to Friday $225-$325

ADULT PROGRAMS

Know Your Trees: Free Monthly Tree Walk Series
(6) Saturdays 2:15-4:15 (1/22, 2/19, 3/19, 4/9, 5/7, 6/4)
at Eco Village Ithaca N.Y. (meet at song common house)
For: Adults and children with supervision.  Join Akiva Silver, tree lore raconteur extraordinaire, and kindle your own passion and appreciation for the world of trees. If you want to go beyond simple identification to learn their edible, medicinal and utilitarian uses then this is the walk for you. Join Akiva for a six-part series held one Saturday a month beginning in January. If you can’t make this one but want to stay in the loop “become a fan” on our FaceBook page or let us know that you would like to join our mailing list!  Cost: FREE! Donations gratefully accepted.  Pre-registration is not required but it is recommended in the event that we must cancel the walk. Please come dressed for the weather.

  • Primitive Pursuits Spring Calendar, Sandra Repp, 03/14/2011