fingerlakespermaculture - FW: Community Food Security Dialogue : March 15th Rescheduled from Feb.2, 2011

  • From: "Liz Falk" <erf59 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: "'abby Tatkow'" <aft23 AT cornell.edu>, "'Chango'" <darkredfire73 AT aim.com>, "'Christine Karatnytsky'" <cKaratnytsky AT gmail.com>, "'Elizabeth Keokosky'" <evk1 AT cornell.edu>, "'Grayden Gordon'" <ggordon353 AT yahoo.com>, "'Jeanne Leccese '" <jeanneleccese AT gmail.com>, "'Josh Dolan'" <sapsquatch7 AT gmail.com>, "'Kerra Quinn'" <kerraquinn AT gmail.com>, "'Kevin Booth'" <kkb45 AT cornell.edu>, "'Kristen Loria '" <kal52 AT cornell.edu>, "'Lisa B. Miller '" <hulagirl AT lightlink.com>, "Maja Anderson" <majaanderson AT twcny.rr.com>, "'Mason Newark'" <mjn68 AT cornell.edu>, "'Michael Margolin'" <michael_j_margolin AT riseup.net>, "'Nora McIver-Sheridan'" <nora.mciversheridan AT gmail.com>, "'Rachel Firak'" <rfirak AT gmail.com>, "'Robyn Stewart'" <stewartrobyn AT gmail.com>, "'Robyn Stewart'" <rbs247 AT cornell.edu>, "'ruth Howell'" <rwh28 AT cornell.edu>
  • Cc: 'Marcia Eames-Sheavly' <me14 AT cornell.edu>, BuyLocalNY AT proxy1.groups.fy3.b.yahoo.com, fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org, simonelackey AT gmail.com
  • Subject: FW: Community Food Security Dialogue : March 15th Rescheduled from Feb.2, 2011
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 08:36:04 -0500

Tilling the Soil of Community
Community Food Security Dialog
Tuesday March 15
7:00 - 8:30 PM

Womens Community Building
Ithaca, NY

From: Jemila Sequeira [mailto:jemila.sequeira AT gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:41 PM
To: Ethel Jemila Sequeira

Sorry for cross posting.

Mark your calendars for the Community Food Security(CFS) Dialogue :
"Tilling the Soil of Community".

History to this meeting:
Our last meeting was canceled due to a hazardous weather forecast on Feb. 2nd, 2011. At the  December 8th, 2010 CFS meeting 80 + community members attended. During the meeting  we gathered together in smaller groups for 45 minutes. Each group/table addressed the question " What would a healthy food system look like that worked for everyone?" and each group shared thoughts, concerns and ideas  with the larger group. The responses addressed most aspects of the food system from production to consumption and recycling ( compost). Topics included education, health awareness, access, land acquisition, transportation, school food and many more. These notes will be available on March 15th.

A local food system that is equitable is truly the food system that is sustainable...meeting the need for healthy food at all times for everyone.

Please invite those you know are interested in supporting a healthy local food system that is equitable.

*Child care will be provided. If you will be needing childcare please reply by email or call 607-272-2292 ext. 157. This will help in planning for enough care providers and children activities.

*Light snacks and beverages will also be provided.

Tilling the Soil of Community
Community Food Security Dialog
Tuesday March 15
7:00 - 8:30 PM

Womens Community Building
Ithaca, NY

Agenda
7:00        Welcome, recap of previous dialogues, meet your neighbors
7:10        Telling Our Stories. Hear from local community members about their personal experience of food insecurity
7:30        Small group discussion:

  • How do we feel about working with one another across differences?
  • What are some of the positive benefits of working with people who have very different circumstances/experiences from ours?
  • What are some of the challenges?
  • How can we support one another in working together respectfully and effectively to create the food system we envision?

8:10        Brief recap from each group, 1 min each
8:20        Wrap-up and next steps. Please speak with a facilitator to express interest in working on Food System Planning.
8:30        END Thank you everyone!

Whole Community Project-

Mission:  Ensuring that all children and adults have all the healthy food they need and plenty of opportunities for safe and fun physical activity.

E.Jemila Sequeira, MSW

Coordinator, Whole Community Project

Cornell Cooperative Extension- Tompkins

615 Willow Avenue

Ithaca, NY 14850

Office: 607-272-2292 ext. 157

Cell: 607- 280-7482

  • FW: Community Food Security Dialogue : March 15th Rescheduled from Feb.2, 2011, Liz Falk, 02/23/2011