corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] 1 Cor 6:16

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: MillerJimE AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] 1 Cor 6:16
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 20:08:42 EST

<<> As far as I know this is the only time Paul, or anyone else, uses phesin
<<> for a Scripture quote.

<<Don't know about that, but I was just notincing that it seems pretty common in the Apostolic Fathers (1 Clem, 2 Clem, Barn)--maybe worth checking to see if there are any instances that match what you're suggesting here?>>

    I looked through 1&2 Clement and Barnabas for Scripture citations, but in almost every case, whether using legei, epien or phesin, the subject is clearly enunciated.  The only exceptions which look like 1 Cor 6:16 are in 1 Clement 30:2,4 where phesin and legei are used without a clear subject for Scripture quotation.  Given the dozens of uses where the subject is explicit, these exceptions seem, to me, to demonstrate the exceptional nature of Paul's use of phesin in 1 Cor 6:16.  Also, given the variety of explicit subjects when scripture is cited in 1&2 Clement and Barnabas, it seems to me that a specific subject is indicated in 1 Cor 6:16.

Jim Miller

  • Re: [Corpus-Paul] 1 Cor 6:16, Given, Mark Douglas, 12/01/2006
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [Corpus-Paul] 1 Cor 6:16, MillerJimE, 12/01/2006