corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Paul - his place in history as seen from today

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-Paul' <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Paul - his place in history as seen from today
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 14:13:25 -0800

Dear list

There has been silence for some time. Besides preparing for SBL, I suppose all are busy with classes and that conversations take place in the land of blog.

I have had time of course to think about all your past opinions. Today, as I attended synagogue, the rift between Jew and Christian which many loosely blame on Paul, was in my mind. But for some reason, I felt the assembly of the Jews was more powerful in its prophecy than any assembly in Corinth that I could imagine. (If all of you prophesy, will not the uninitiated … find his secret thoughts laid bare and then fall on his face and worship God, declaring that surely God is among you indeed? 1 Corinthians 14:25)

This synagogue seemed more like a Pauline first century congregation than any Church I have visited recently. So where is the rift that is blamed on Paul apart from general ignorance of the commonality of tradition?

In the 2006 John Albert Hall lectures in Victoria, (The Place and Authority of Scripture in World Religions

Keith Ward, University of Oxford), Paul was given short shrift – the speaker was presenting pre-new-perspective as far as I could tell. I heard that Paul was the one who married Greek philosophical thought into the Jewish ways, creating a new religion. What are you Biblical Studies folk and historians doing to educate the Theologians?

Bob

Bob MacDonald

Victoria BC

http://gx.ca