corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Sabbatical years and Paul's collections

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Tim Gallant" <tim AT rabbisaul.com>
  • To: <dhindley AT compuserve.com>, "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Sabbatical years and Paul's collections
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 22:56:01 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
To: "'Corpus-Paul'" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 10:34 PM

On the other hand, if you thought that asking charity of gentiles for the benefit of lazy Jews would be shameful deceit on Paul's
part, then the scenario I just suggested would likely not impress you as ethical either. But would it have deterred a zealot like
Paul who *knew* he was right as rain?

I tend to agree with you, David. We can judge neither Paul, the Gentile converts, nor the believers in Judea according to our supposedly enlightened standards. Moreover, the law's sabbatical year provisions had absolutely nothing to do with laziness, and I suspect that Gentiles who had been mostly exposed to the synagogue prior to conversion to Christ, and certainly exposed to the Hebrew Scriptures after said conversion, had more sense of the matter than we might assume.

tim
Tim Gallant
Pastor, Conrad Christian Reformed Church
http://www.timgallant.org