corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re. bibliography question

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re. bibliography question
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 06:03:15 -0500

Title: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re. bibliography question
Dear Bob,

You're on the right track, and I agree with most of the things you write. One thing I am not sure about is your view of the Jews' actions in Jesus' death. While that death was no doubt a sacrifice, and the Jews were blinded by God, they are still responsible for their blindness and committed a great evil. Of course, the Gentiles also participated in that evil, though with less guilt.

God hardened pharaoh's heart, too, so that He might accomplish Israel's deliverance, but God's agency did not eliminate pharaoh's culpability for his sins. God hardened pharaoh's heart by taking actions that exacerbated the king's stubborn pride. God's request for Israel to be able to worship Him was right but brought out the worst in an evil man.

As with God's actions in pharaoh's case, so God's actions in Jesus stirred up the unrighteous character of the Jewish leaders in Jesus' day. Alfred Edersheim's The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah treats the corruption of the priesthood at the time of Christ, but some of this evidence in in the Gospels themselves. Jesus' holy character aroused the rebellion of the nation as a whole, despite the great crowds who admired Jesus' teaching and appreciated His healings. But despite the fact that Jesus' true admirers were a minority in Israel, it is these people who represented true Israel and carried on the tradition of faith. They became the founders of the Church, and the Church will ultimately have a part in the nation as a whole turning to God.

Prophecy teaches that Israel's turning to God, and thus to faith in Christ, will come to fruition particularly in the days just prior to Jesus' return to earth. Though they seem incorrect in some of the details in my opinion (I don't subscribe to a pretribulational rapture, though anything is possible), you might read the writings of the premillennialists, who rightly recognize that God has not rejected Israel. He will fulfill all the promises to them in the OT in the literal sense in which they were given.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard

Dear Mr. Miller,
   I Happened upon your correspondence with  a person Named Lynn Concerning the book of Romans. I will be teaching the book of Romans to a group of Pastors in Kakamega Kenya this September. As you know I need to keep the teaching as concise and simplified as possible. I am working on the explanation of Paul's argument in Romans 9-11 Which I call the 4th part of the gospel. I am pondering these scriptures as I see them and have not found any commentaries or authors that discuss my thoughts on the matter. a brief outline of what I have been seeing is as follows:
   Romans 8 ends with nothing shall separate us from the love of God. Rom 9 begins with the Jews are separated. In a nutshell I believe Paul's argument is that ; The word of God has not failed because of this separation on the contrary the word of God predicted the blindness and separation of Israel, as a whole, to the Gospel.(Isaiah's calling - Is.6:1-13 the blindness is only for a time) John 12:37-41   says the Jews could not believe because Isaiah said....
         The reason the Jews were chosen for this blindness is God's sovereign Choice to use them as the vehicle to sacrifice The Messiah. The Messiah's death is not a catastrophic event caused by mans wickedness but a ritual sacrifice preformed as per God's will (ACTS 2:23 Acts 3:13-18 Acts 4:27-28)  so says the first recorded sermons. The Jews as priest called for the release of the son of Abba (Barabbas) and the crucifixion of the messiah, as God determined was His will revealed in answer to Jesus prayer in the Garden. The knowledge that God allowed the prisoner released to be named Barabbas (Greek for son of Abba), and the belief that the shepherds the angels appeared to at the birth of Jesus were those that watched the sacrificial temple flock(see information on Migdal Eder -the tower to watch the temple flock, 1000 paces outside Bethlehem -likely the shepherds that watched their flock by night)  ) led me to the initial Idea that the sacrifice must be looked at as a sacrifice. And I have found scripture after scripture That leads me to believe that God did exactly what He asked Abraham to do and took His own hand ( His peculiar treasure the Jewish people) and slew His own Son for the salvation of the world.
 The Jews rejection of the Messiah is the salvation of the world. Had God not blinded them,They would not have crucified the Messiah I Cor 2:8. This blindness to Israel is for God's purposes, and God has not rejected Israel. Though they are an enemy for the sake of the Gentiles they are still loved because of the fathers. The conclusion of the argument of the gospel in Romans 1:17 - 11:36 is that the gospel plan includes Israel (enemies for your sake )as a nation. He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy. With the end result He will have mercy on all. This not meaning universal salvation for every human but a chance somehow for blinded Israel to look upon the one they have pierced and mourn for him as for an only child (Zechariah:10).
 Could you comment on my thoughts and give me any advice as to commentaries or works on this subject.