corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Web Links for "The Two Worlds in Which Christianity Originated: Jewish and Greek"

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paulinum <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Web Links for "The Two Worlds in Which Christianity Originated: Jewish and Greek"
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:08:25 -0500

As I've mentioned before, I'm in the process of revising parts of the
Web Site for Steven Harris' Introduction to the New Testament found at:

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0767420314/student_view0/

The web page for the Harris NT Intro that I'm now revising and
expanding upon is the We Links page for his chapter entitled "The Two
Worlds in Which Christianity Originated: Jewish and Greek" It can be
found at:

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0767420314/student_view0/chapter3/web_links.html

As was the case in my revision of the present web links pages for
Harris' Chapters One and Two, my intention is to use the headings and
subheadings of the current online outline to Chapter 3 as my list of
topics and themes for which I'll line up links and good online
discussions.

I'm enclosing this outline below so you can see for yourself just what
these topics and themes are. It would be of immense help to me if List
Members would send me suggestions for things (i.e., Web pages and other
**online** resources) to include under them.

With thanks in advance for any help with this project.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

*********

Outline

I. Key topics/themes

II. The one God, Yahweh

1. The Shema
2. The divine name
3. The Jewish Deity's Name in the New Testament

III. The Torah

1. The Mosaic Covenant
2. The purity laws
3. Views of Hebrew Bible authors concerning the applicability of the
Mosaic Covenant
4. Views of New Testament authors concerning the applicability of the
Mosaic Covenant

IV. The divine promises

1. The promise to Abraham
2. The Hebrew monarchy
3. Attitudes toward the divine promises after the fall of the Hebrew
monarchy

V. The Jerusalem temple

1. History of the Jerusalem Temple
2. Significance of the Temple for devout Jews
3. The Day of Atonement

VI. The world of Greek thought and culture

1. The impact of Alexander the Great
2. The Hellenistic period
3. The impact of Greek culture during the Hellenistic period

VII. Greek Philosophy

1. Socrates, Plato, and the immortal soul

1. The life and impact of Socrates
2. Plato
1. Plato's philosophical dualism
2. The impact of Plato on New Testament thought

2. Stoicism and Stoic endurance
1. Zeno the founder of Stoicism
2. The Logos as the divine principle permeating the universe
3. The influence of Stoicism in the Hellenistic world

3. Epicureanism
1. The philosophy of Epicurus
2. Relationship with the atomism of Democritus

4. Cynicism
1. The philosophy of Diogenes and his disciples
2. Antimaterialism
3. Opposition to prevailing cultural norms
4. Relationship to lifestyle of Jesus of Nazareth

5. Summary: Early Christian encounters with Greek philosophical
schools

VIII. Greco-Roman religion

1. The twelve Olympians
1. Zeus
2. Poseidon
3. Hades
4. Hera
5. Demeter
6. Hestia
7. Athene
8. Apollo
9. Artemis
10. Hemes
11. Ares
12. Aphrodite

2. The Hymn to Zeus an image of ancient devotion to the Olympian gods

3. Gods offering worshipers a personal relationship

1. Asclepius
1. God of the healing arts
2. Worshiped at healing shrines throughout the Greco-Roman
world

2. Dionysus of Thebes and Jesus of Nazareth
1. The myth of Dionysus
2. Parellels between the myth of Dionysus and life of Jesus of
Nazareth
3. Wine as the beverage of communion between gods and humans

IX. The mystery religions

1. Dionysus and Orphism
1. The myth of Orpheus
2. The theology of Orphism

2. Mithras and Mithraism
1. The origins of Mithraism
2. The myth of Mithras
3. The impact of Mithras in Hellenistic culture
4. Mithras as early Christianity's leading competitor

3. The mother goddess (Isis)
1. The myth of Isis and Osiris
2. Religious experience in the Isis cult according to Apuleius

X. Summary

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

  • [Corpus-Paul] Web Links for "The Two Worlds in Which Christianity Originated: Jewish and Greek", Jeffrey B. Gibson, 07/11/2005