corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Reconceptualising Conversion

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Matthew W Mitchell <Matthew.Mitchell AT Dal.Ca>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Reconceptualising Conversion
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:51:32 -0300

I agree that Zeb's work is important. Even if you don't agree with all his
conclusions, the methodological points he raises about our continual tendency
to read modern concepts into antiquity can't seem to be emphasized enough.
Malina also spent years trying to demonstrate (at a bare minimum) that the
ancient mediterraneans weren't simply moderns wearing different clothes and
making do without tv, but it is an argument that doesn't always find as wide an
audience as one would hope.

Dr. Matthew W Mitchell
Chair
Department of Comparative Religion