corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Paul and the Holy Spirit

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Chris Tilling" <chris AT christilling.de>
  • To: <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Paul and the Holy Spirit
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:09:23 +0200

Dear Daniel,

>I was wondering if there is any consensus about Paul's
>view of the Holy Spirit. Are spirits in Paul's view
>generally personal or impersonal? Is the Holy Spirit
>similar in nature to other spirits?

These are indeed very interesting questions! Though, perhaps not unsurprisingly, there is a lack of consensus about Paul's view of the Holy Spirit. Many scholars in Germany (for example Horn) maintain that the spirit is some kind of physical substance. This has been thoroughly criticised (in a lengthy review of Horn's work) by one of my close friends, Volker Rabens (BZ, vol 43. 1999 p. 161-79). Indeed, his article is really worth reading and would be a good place to start in answering some of these questions. He is also a doctoral research student and has almost finished his work that involves Paul, the Spirit and ethical transformation. He has just informed me that he wants to get involved in this discussion group but not right now. Instead, he gave me permission to pass on his e-mail address (v.rabens AT gmx.net) if anybody has any questions about his article.

Chris Tilling
Chris and Anja Tilling
Schillerstrasse 32
D-72810 Gomaringen