corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Scholars who deny a Pauline divine-Christology

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Elli Elliott" <revelli AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Scholars who deny a Pauline divine-Christology
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:07:27 -0500

I gather that your work is in theology, but if you are working in the field of historical criticism, you may want to investigate the notion of divinity in the early Roman imperial era more carefully before assuming such a "great divide." I have recently found Ittai Gradel's work (English title: Emperor Worship and Roman Religion) useful on this issue. Just reading the introduction would be a start. It's worth considering that the notion of Christ's divinity does not originate in Paul's monotheism so much as in the pervasive polytheistic practice of his world.

Elli

The Rev. Susan M. (Elli) Elliott, Ph.D.
Minister
First Congregational United Church of Christ
Fairmont, Minnesota

----- Original Message ----- From: <christilling AT ukonline.co.uk>