corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Re: Paul and the Gentile Women

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: MillerJimE AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Paul and the Gentile Women
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 02:19:18 EDT

    I do find the book stimulating, but there are several klinkers, at least to this reader. Perhaps you or others on the list can help me with one possibly minor bit which clunked when I read it.  Galatians 3:28 "male and female" -- Wiley cites this verse as restoring "the original equality" of creation (Genesis 1:27) both on p 51 and in the note on p. 138.  My reading of Galatians has this quote from Genesis transcending, not restoring gender of the created order.
    Am I missing something?  Is this a reading required by Catholic teachings -- that the created order is to be restored, not transcended?  I am all for gender equality, whether by restoration or transcendence of the created order, but I do sense a subtext here.
    Also, had you been exposed to the quotations on pp 108-109?  Do you know how recent they are?
Jim Miller

As the book was progressing, Tatha
presented some of this material to the Feminist Hermeneutics
Task Force of the Catholic Biblical Association, and her
vantage point struck me as very much in harmony with Elli
Elliott's work and what I had done in my dissertation, and
then in an essay (on Gal 3:26-28) in the EGLBS & MWBS
Proceedings (published in 1993).

  • [Corpus-Paul] Re: Paul and the Gentile Women, MillerJimE, 06/02/2005