corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] The Symbolic Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] The Symbolic Paul
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:52:21 -0700 (PDT)

Jim asked:

> Does Arnal suggest that being a Bultmannian
> is a bad thing?

On the whole, certainly yes, but not completely. Bill
says we must take care that "in slaying our fathers,
we do not rob ourselves of some inheritances which may
be valuable" (46). He alludes, for instance, to
Bultmannian skepticism about reconstructing an
historical Jesus (a task Bill agrees is futile). He
gives Bultmann a bit more credit than I would.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com