corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Titus/Timothy

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Titus/Timothy
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:46:11 -0600

Dear Paul--I mean Dieter,
I reply as a fellow list member and not in the role of moderator. I take the
expressions of those who have tired of this thread to also be comments made
not in the role of moderators, but only active list members who have grown
weary of the style of conversation. I am at least not aware of any posts
being denied. It is actually very interesting for me to entertain this and
other new ideas that arise on C-P, one of its strengths. But I must agree
that the arguments have been made, some objections raised, and even when
some have wanted to opt out of further discussion, they are engaged again in
a kind of way that if they do not take it up, looks like they have
capitulated. That is not helpful, and I think the basis for the exasperation
to which you react. I have experienced the same in earlier exchanges, which
have included off-list pursuits as well.

There is always a fine line between discussion or dialogue and the point
where it slides into monologue and monopolizing and then into something more
like propaganda, which line is not drawn in the same place by everyone.
Likewise, there are different lines drawn when it comes to censuring.
Perhaps after the challenge laid down by Edgar Krentz has been researched
and posted, we will be able to move the discussion along profitably.
Otherwise, it does look like the points have been made and judged variously
as convincing or not (I find it terribly circular and unlikely logically on
the matter of Titus=Timothy, even if such name changes could be demonstrated
in other cases, but the "possibility" tempers my own confidence in their
separate identities in a new way, as historical research should always be
tempered, I think).

Is there something more specific about the topic that you wish to share, o
paulish-sounding one?

Shalom,
Mark
--