corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Sitz im Leben of Hebrews

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Sitz im Leben of Hebrews
  • Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 09:49:07 -0600

?

David Hindley wrote:

> Jeffrey Gibson asks:
>
> <I'm asking whether anyone since (and before) Nairne ever
> argued or assumed that the purpose for Hebrews was to warn
> Christians against, and/or to call them back from, joining in
> the Zealot cause.>
>
> Isn't Hebrews considered relatively well written (meaning
> rhetorically cohesive) compared to the Pauline letters?

Yes.

> That
> rhetorical polish suggests, to me, not a (more or less)
> emotional response to a rebellion in Judaea, but a careful
> explanation why the author's perspective is better than the
> traditional Jewish one.

A non sequitur, I think.? The style of an author tells us something
about the author's style and the way he makes arguments.? It does not
tell us much much about the situation his argument was addressed to.

In any case, I think we could come up with any number of writings in the
corpus of the speeches of the Attic orators which show that a well
composed rhetorical work and a crisis situation are not mutually
exclusive.
?

Yours,

Jeffrey