corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Titus-Timothy in General

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Titus-Timothy in General
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 02:01:28 -0500

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:41:45 -0800 Richard Fellows <rfellows AT shaw.ca>
writes:

> > I have not responded because I cannot really take such double
> naming
> seriously in the Greco-Roman
> > world. Itwould be highly interesting for Richard fellows to submit
> his
> Timothy=Titus hypothesis to
> > the classics list. I suspect it would be heartily rejected.
>
> Edgar, this post is very unhelpful. It does not engage with the
> issues in
> any way, but just dismisses the issue out of hand.
>
> I can only assume that you have misunderstood, or not read, what is
> being proposed. My proposal is that Titus was given the NEW NAME
> "Timothy"
> while he was a Christian. Timothy means "honouring God" or
> "honoured by God", which are very suitable titles for this
> prominent
> believer. This type of religious renaming is no different from
> numerous
> other cases in the ancient world. The phenomenon is well attested in
> the
> biblical tradition (see Otto Eissfeldt "Renaming in the old
> testament" in
> Words and Meanings CUP 1968) and in the early church (consider
> Simon-Peter,
> Joseph-Barnabas and Ignatius-Theophorus) and among pagans (see
> G.H.R.
> Horsley, "Name Change as an Indication of Religious Conversion in
> Antiquity"
> , Numen 34 (1987) p. 1-17). So I do not understand the problem that
> you have
> with Titus-Timothy.
>
> Richard.

Why is it that we have a renaming story for Abram / Abraham, Jacob /
Israel, Simon / Peter-Cephas, but none for this alleged Titus / Timothy?
In fact, it is only after many centuries that someone presumes to realize
that the two might be the same?

george
gfsomsel