corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] the RHTWR of Acts 24

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] the RHTWR of Acts 24
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:48:41 -0500

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:18:28 -0600 "Jeffrey B. Gibson"
<jgibson000 AT comcast.net> writes:
> In Acts 24:1 we hear about the enlisting by the High Priest of a
> RHTWR
> to advance the prosecution of Paul before Felix. Who and what was
> RHTWR besides an orator? BDAG gloss the term with "prosecuting
> attorney". But it is my understanding that there was no such
> occupation
> as attorney or official forensic office yet in existence at this
> time.
> Anyone here done any work on the function of the RHTWR in courts and
> in
> trials?
>
> Yours,
>
> Jeffrey
> --
>
> Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
>
> 1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
> Chicago, IL 60626
>
> jgibson000 AT comcast.net
________________________

The hRHTWR could designate a person who performed a number of functions
according to LSJ
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0
057%3Aentry%3D%2392385

(1) First he was a trained orator, a public speaker. (This was
undoubtedly the basis for the other functions)
(2) He could also be a judge
(3) An advocate
(4) A teacher of oratory

Note that Cicero once performed this function while holding the office of
quaestor
http://www.unrv.com/roman-republic/cicero.php

george
gfsomsel