corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] (no subject)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] (no subject)
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:13:30 -0500

Ryan,
There are many reasons not to interpret Paul's language in the way that you
propose to consider, but that is not the first question that arises for me.
Since you have Reasoner at hand, and thus can survey the many solutions on
offer, including my own, I turn to the issue that arises for me when I read
your post. I intend not to offend, but to challenge you to think about what
it is you wish to accomplish when you approach a text I suppose that you
believe to be sacred, because of the sacredness of human life.

My first question to you is: Why would you want to promote that hypothesis
for a reading of this material? It makes central the denigration of the
motives and actions of others who choose to express their faith in a way
different than the reader who proposes the reading you suggest to propose,
denying to them the claim to act nobly in faith, while reserving only for
that reader such nobility. Is it necessary to suppose that such demeaning of
the faith convictions of the "other" in Paul's voice? Why not just do it in
one's own voice, if that is what one believes?

Alternatively, Why not make an effort to find ways to interpret Paul's voice
consistent with his stated belief that the Christ-believer ought to love the
neighbor as oneself (which is consistent with "Paul's gospel of faith";
no?), in this case, giving the benefit of the doubt to the acceptance of the
nobility of the faith of the (Jewish) other in their choices of eating and
drinking unto the Lord. Is that not what the point of Paul's instruction is
anyway in this passage? Is that not a challenge worth the effort when trying
to interpret this or any of Paul's texts?

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.
Rockhurst University

on 10/21/04 3:22 PM, Ryan Brandon Mannix at Ryan.Mannix AT pepperdine.edu