corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul REALLY circumcise Timothy?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: barthome1 AT comcast.net
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul REALLY circumcise Timothy?
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 16:34:36 +0000

Hello,

I would like to post a question that concerns a topic that has come up on the
Biblical Greek list.

In Acts 16:3 the King James Version says;
Him (this refers to Timothy) would Paul have to go forth with him; and took
and circumcised him because of the Jews which were in those quarters: for
they knew all that his father was a Greek.

Now here is the issue---the Greek verb for "circumcised" is rather loose as
connecting who was circumcised vs. who performed the actual deed. It can
used in cases when someone arranged for another person to be circumcised, but
did not do the actual proceedure themselves.

This has lead some scholars to say that Paul did not do the actual
proceedure, but simply arranged to have it done by a third person.

What I am looking for is whether there is any indication that Paul would have
had the necessary training to do the actual proceedure? Is anything known
about the circumcism practices 2000 years ago?

Thanks for any help you all can give.

Bart Torbert
barthome1 AT comcast.net