corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Was Romans written from Ephesus?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Gabriel Golea" <g_golea AT hotmail.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Was Romans written from Ephesus?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:59:39 +0000

Dear List-members,

Is this message the last one on the list? (or have I some difficulties with my e-mail?).

Thanks,

Gabriel

From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:43:10 -0500

At 07:54 PM 1/26/04 -0800, Richard Fellows wrote:
>Stephen Carlson wrote:
>> It's not clear to me from 1 Cor. 16:10 that Timothy is already on-route,
>> only that Paul was intending to have Timothy depart Ephesus and arrive
>> in Corinth before him. In my scenario, Timothy does not return to Paul
>> in Ephesus, but that Romans is written around the time of Timothy's
>> departure from Ephesus.
>
>Here are three pieces of evidence that indicate that Timothy departed from
>Ephesus before 1 Corinthians was written, and not after it.
>
>1. 1 Cor 4:17 says "for this reason I sent you Timothy". The verb is aorist
>and indicates either past or present action.

It would have to be an epistolary aorist under my proposal, i.e. that
Paul expected Timothy to have been sent by the time the letter is read,
but this tends to tighten the already tight timing requirements or have
Paul delay in sending in Timothy.

>2. If Timothy had been with Paul when 1 Cor was written he would have been
>given as a co-sender. At the very least he would have sent greatings. He was
>the co-sender of 2 Corinthians, and all of Paul's letters that were written
>to churches that he had helped to found. Why is he not a co-sender of 1
>Corinthains?

This is a good point.

>3. 1 Cor 16:10 seems to suggest that Timothy would be anxious upon his
>arrival in Corinth, but Paul seems quite confident about the Corinthians at
>the time of writing. This suggests that Timothy had departed from Ephesus at
>a time when the situation in Corinth seemed worse. The best explanation is
>that Timothy had left Ephesus before the arrival there of reassuring news
>from Stephanas (1 Cor 16:17-18). Christopher Hudson has shown that it is
>unlikely that Timothy was timid.

I'd like to know why. Do you have a cite for Hudson's argument?

>> >5. If Romans was written from Ephesus we would expect Paul to send
>greetings
>> >from Sosthenes, who was there and was prominent enough to be the
>co-sender
>> >of 1 Corinthians.
>>
>> I couldn't find *any* co-sender of the Pauline letters sending greetings.
>
>We have misunderstood each other, I think. I am saying that Sosthenes was in
>Ephesus when 1 Cor was written. If Romans was written at about that time,
>why do we not read the name of Sosthenes in Rom 16? Why didn't Sosthenes
>send greatings to the Romans, along with Timothy, Lucius, Erastus, etc.?

Do we know what happened to Sosthenes after 1 Cor.?

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson AT mindspring.com