corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Gal 5:12

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: nanosmd AT comcast.net
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Gal 5:12
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 21:19:26 +0000

"Necessary"? Never. I believe it is probable, however. J. Munck argued that
they
were Christian Gentiles, with which some others have agreed (eg Gaston, if I
remember right). I have discussed (argued) this matter at length in Irony of
Galatians.
I do not see how it makes sense of the situations Paul addressed. For
example:
It is difficult to conceive of men seeking the circumcision of Paul's
addressees
if not circumcised themselves, right? If circumcised, are they Gentiles? Of
what
sort? Are they not proseltyes if circumcised in Jewish terms, and if so, then
no
longer Gentiles but now (when Paul is writing) Jews (even if formerly
Gentiles)?

You may not be aware of the problem of terminology raised by your post (this
topic has been discussed by J. Dunn and most extensively by S. Cohen in
Beginnings of Jewishness). I refrain from using "Judaizers," even in its
gramatically proper form as referring to Gentiles who become proselytes (it
is
based on a reflexive verb), rather than those involved in conducting the
rites
of conversion of Gentiles (ie., Jews don't Judaize, non-Jews do). The phrase
has
a negative valence, as though there is something wrong with helping non-Jews
become Jews, while at the same time the terms used to refer to Christians
engaged in helping (even if agressively pursuing those not coming to them on
their own initiative) are not similar; not "Christianizers" or "missionizers"
but missionaries, and so on. It is best for historical as well as
ideologically
respectful work to refrain from terms that are value laden when it can be
avoided, as it can be easily enough in this case.

Why do you think that they are not Jewish?

--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.
Rockhurst University

<<The implication is that those influencing the addressees are Jewish people
who
are in a position to conduct non-Jewish people throught the proselyte
conversion
rites of passage. >>

    I know it is common to assume the "Judaizers" are themselves Jewish
rather than Christian Gentiles who want to make the church like Judaism.  Is
it necessary to assume these people are indeed Jewish?
Jim Miller