corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Theology of Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jeff Peterson <peterson AT austingrad.edu>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Theology of Paul
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:43:04 -0500

On Monday, August 18, 2003, at 11:18 AM, Robert Kraft wrote:

Well, I've waited for someone to mention what I've long considered to be the
best condensed and inductive treatment of Pauline Theology, but to no avail.
What's with this younger generation? {smiley emotikon, perhaps winking}

Is noone using Joe Fitzmyer's little "Pauline Theology: a Brief Sketch" (1967),
reissued with a biographical section on Paul as "Paul and his Theology: a Brief
Sketch" (1989 Prentice Hall)? It's really a "magnum in parvo" (or however the
Latin goes) sort of thing. It's still listed as available, but at an exorbitant
price ("available on demand" at the Prentice Hall page -- possibly cheaper
elsewhere).

Bob,

I assign Fitzmyer in my graduate Introduction to the NT and agree with you about its nutritional content. I've recommended it before on one or more of the lists and never gotten any positive reaction -- which left me thinking, "What's wrong with older scholars that they won't commend the classics of their generation?" :-)

Jeff

Jeffrey Peterson
Austin Graduate School of Theology
Austin, Texas