corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Pseudepigraphy

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: zeba.crook AT utoronto.ca
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Pseudepigraphy
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 16:21:21 -0500

Quoting David ATTBI <davidinglis2 AT attbi.com>:

> I believe that many people use Pauline forgery (or pseudepigraphy if you
> insist) as an easy 'out' when they come across something that doesn't seem
> to fit, and aren't prepared to go back to square one and basically say "Can
> I make everything 'fit' on the basis that Paul was involved with writing
> all the Paulines?" (Note that I'm here allowing for, say, Luke actually
> penning the Pastorals under Paul's direction). My contention is that it is
> possible to make everything fit on this basis, and so although Pauline
> pseudepigraphy is possible (I don't see how anyone could ever *prove* that
> it
> didn't take place), it isn't necessary, and indeed isn't probable.

It's funny isn't it, that originally scholars had to argue for the
possibility,
due to the wide spread practice of pseudepigraphy and important differences
among the letters, that Paul might not have penned all the letters in his
name,
which led to a fairly broad consensus that some letters we can't be certain
of
and so should treat as pseudonymous, and now some scholars are arguing that
pseudonymity cannot be proven (and that alternative explanations for the
differences abound) so we should treat those letters as authentic.
Originally
scholars were challenging the easy "out" of assumed (and it was most
certainly
assumed) authenticity, and how some are challenging the easy "out" of argued
pseudonymity. I guess what I'm finding most interesting is that the same
rhetoric gets used by both "sides." I see this elsewhere as well in other
debates that are being re-opened (and victory re-claimed) by conservative
voices
on issues which liberal voices have long been dominant (historical Jesus for
one).

Just an observation,

Cheers,

Zeb