corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: recommendations for undergraduate book on Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Frank W. Hughes" <fwhughes AT sunbeach.net>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: recommendations for undergraduate book on Paul
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:44:58 -0400

I'd like to second the recommendation for Calvin Roetzel's, Paul, the Man and the Myth (Fortress Press 1999).

Not totally out of the ballpark would be John Knox, Chapters in a Life of Paul (revised 2nd edition, Macon, Ga.: Mercer University Press, 1987).  Another good book, though not really easy to read and strongly oriented towards Pauline theology is C. K. Barrett, Paul: An Introduction to his Thought (London: Geoffrey Chapman; Louisville: Westminster / John Knox Press, 1994).

For my Introduction to the NT class I use:
Raymond E. Brown, An Introduction to the New Testament (ABRL; New York: Doubleday, 1997).  This book has massive and comprehensive English bibliographies on Paul and each letter.  It has very conservative ideas about Pauline chronology but otherwise gives good summaries of "basic information" about each letter.  It raises important interpretive issues at the end of each chapter.  This might be too challenging for many undergraduates, although I have used it with a lot of success with seminarians and other first year theological students.  If students can't make their way through Brown at Level I, then they're going to have problems when they get to my Level II and Level III classes.  I refer students to the bibliographies in Brown for all my other NT classes.

I hope this may be helpful.

Frank W. Hughes
Codrington College
Barbados