corpus-paul - RE: How much would Christians ca. 80 CE have known about Paul?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: How much would Christians ca. 80 CE have known about Paul?
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 18:36:09 -0700

PLStepp asked

>>suppose you were a Christian in a Pauline church in Ephesus during the
second Christian generation there--say, 80 CE. How much would you have
known about Paul?

Conjecture: depends on where you were. If Ephesus or Corinth, I think there
is a good chance of a strong memory including some houses where bundles of
mss might yet be found at say one of the estates of Gaius of Corinth. I am
not sure you could define Christian yet consistently in the different
centres.

>>Would you have known his conversion story? If so, from what source?

Conjecture: probably not, but you would have known him as a seer and many
would still be alive who had loved him deeply for what he had introduced
them to.

>>Would you have known ABOUT his letters?

Conjecture: Yes

>>Would you KNOW his letters (i.e., would the contents of Romans and
Galatians and the various letters to the Corinthians be familiar to you?)
Assuming a date of 80: would the early Pauline corpus be available and in
use in a central Roman city with a comparatively significant Christian
presence) like Ephesus?

Conjecture: in Asia and Achaia, probably and not only one of them but a
collection. In Alexandria and Cyrene, probably not - but not impossible.

>>And what of the book of Acts, or many of the traditions contained
therein--would they have been familiar?

Conjecture - less likely

>>Would you have known about Paul's priorities, that his reason for living
was to preach Christ and salvation by faith to the gentiles? If so, from
what source?

Conjecture - more likely the obedience of faith would be the reductionist
term if they reduced things in those days.

For a little fun - see my stories on my homepage - I have been working them
out for 8 years (I do get distracted at times) - 12 more years to go in this
project including a hoped for trip for 'research' to Egypt and Jerusalem
next year. The first 32 stories are set in the years leading up to 82 as
seen from the point of view of the year 117 by the children of Tertius. The
remaining few are set in the first half of the century from about the year 6
on (beginning with Jesus visit to the temple at age 12).

If you find anything else, please let me know.

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

Catch the foxes for us,