corpus-paul - Re: Texbooks

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Ray Fincher <rfincher AT pe.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Texbooks
  • Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 12:36:54 -0700

I rarely (if ever) post to this list because I find that I learn much more while listening (and reading) than when talking (or writing), especially when permitted to eavesdrop on such a scholarly gathering.

However, I would like to make you all aware of my appreciation for the enhancements to my library, and by extension, the educational level of my congregation, which you have made possible via your earlier discussion of Commentaries and the recent thread on Textbooks.

In preparation for our forthcoming Autumn series of Bible Studies of the Pauline Epistles, as a result of your recent discussions, I have ordered:
Cousar's _The Letters of Paul_
Wiles' _Making Sense of Paul_
Wright's _What St. Paul Really Said_

I already have Dunn's _The Theology of Paul_ and a reasonably good cross-section of individual commentaries (Word, NICNT, Black's, Anchor, etc.) embodying works of Barth, Fitzmyer, Brown, Dunn, Best, Boring, Craddock, Furnish, Lincoln, Fee, Johnson, et al.

The advice gleaned from Corpus-Paul discussion has contributed immesurably to the selection of works for my library.

Thank you again for the assistance you have rendered, and for the consistently high quality of discussion on this list.

Ray Fincher
Sixty-something third career student in perpetuity, and
Pastor, Arlington Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Riverside, California