corpus-paul - Textbook

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: James Miller <themiller7 AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Textbook
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 1906 20:23:04 +0800

Pauline Theology . . .

For a seminary level course, I would now go with Michael Thompson's
CRUCIFORMITY: PAUL'S NARRATIVE SPIRITUALITY OF THE CROSS. Thompson does a
superb job of joining head and heart. In addition, while providing his own
challenging reading of Paul, he also engages current trends in the study of
Pauline theology (narrative theology, political readings of Paul, the faith
of/in Christ debate, etc.) in a way that opens the door for a professor to
introduce students the lay of the land in the discipline.

For undergrads, I agree with other respondents that N. T. Wright's WHAT
SAINT PAUL REALLY SAID is the most useful. Although you may not agree with
Wright across the board in his reading of Paul, he is highly engaging and is
forcefully asking questions that most scholars often overlook.

For a graduate seminar, the four volumes from the Pauline Theology seminar
offer the best collection for slogging through current issues in debate.

Regards,

James C. Miller

  • Textbook, James Miller, 07/31/2002