corpus-paul - Paul and synagogue

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Paul and synagogue
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 17:27:18 -0700

>>Paul's failure to mention synagogues is one of the key bits of (lack of )
evidence that leads to the distrust of Acts scheme of Paul starting each
local mission in the synagogue and only then going outside of the Jewish
community. <<

A quiet group this week or my mail is not functioning.

The above is a quote from the recent Horsley seminar. (message 70)

When beginning my study of Paul, I was warned from several books and sources
not to 'trust' the Acts version. May seemed to say: it is impossible to
reconcile the Acts account and chronology with Paul's letters. Nanos in
Mystery points out how 'Jew first, then gentile' is a pattern similar to the
Acts portrayal. It is clear too that Paul's message is depends heavily on
the Hebrew content of the Tanach for its meaning. I.e. the preaching to the
gentiles seems to take place within a Jewish communal context.

I have heard population estimates of 7 million Jews out of the empire's
population of 70 million. This is a very sizeable minority. Most of those
Jews would be in the Diaspora and would be the first target in their
communities for Paul's message.

What I am wondering is why Paul would not have used the term synagogue at
all in his letters. (I couldn't even find a use of the corresponding verb)
He is also careful (except chapter 16) not to use church in the letter to
the Romans.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

Catch the foxes for us,
http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca

  • Paul and synagogue, Bob MacDonald, 07/07/2002