corpus-paul - Re: Time and place of Philippians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Time and place of Philippians
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 08:20:36 -0700

Kym wrote:
>>Though I do not expect too many on this forum to agree with me, I believe
that that letter is what we know as Hebrews.<<

The self description of the author of Hebrews in chapter 2 makes it very
unlikely that Paul was the author.
"This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us
by those who heard him."

Does Paul ever describe himself this way? Could this have been written by
the man who wrote "Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord?"
Paul never describes himself removed at second hand as is implied here - "to
us" - "by those who heard him". I.e. I, the author, did not hear him.

Hebrews itself seems to be little studied by current scholars compared to
the Pauline Corpus. It seems to me to be important in the scheme of thought
of the period.

1. Why does the author imply that the temple is still standing and sacrifice
continuing? How would this square with Paul's final vow in Jerusalem c 58
(per Acts) where he shows himself still part of the cult. Could this man
have written "we have an altar at which those who serve in the tabernacle
have no right to eat"? [On the other hand, perhaps the use of the tabernacle
in its imagery implies that the temple has been destroyed - maybe the letter
is a lament.]

2. How would this letter's description of the meaning of Christ (the veil,
the High Priest, the sacrifice outside the gate) illuminate the intra-Jewish
disagreements in Galatia, Antioch, Corinth, and Rome?

Sorry - meandering among all the lack of evidence - I finished my 4 week
study of Hebrews with a participation of about 20 from age 20 to 93. What a
long way the scholars are from the people in the pews. Sometimes I have no
idea where I am standing.

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +