corpus-paul - Kasantsakis & celluloid Jesus

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Kasantsakis & celluloid Jesus
  • Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 08:21:18 -0700

re cine-Jesus - "You're not my Jesus". (My Jesus knew what was in a man -
not so Scorcesi's.)

This interpreter of Kasantsakis has a long way to go psychologically to
convince me. Fewer words would have made a better film (IMO - cf Laurence of
Arabia 1962 for a good screen play and character formation in the desert
with fewer words).

Pixner in 'Jesus and Hillel' ed Charlesworth 1996
http://www.ambs.edu/LJohns/Hillel&Jesus.htm
gives a far more credible character study of Jesus than Kasantsakis
projections.

It happens that I just re-viewed the Kasantsakis film - looked too much like
the Life of Brian to me.

For this to go somewhere in Corpus Paul - is it possible to focus how Paul
has used what he knew? I don't find a discontinuity between gospels and
Paul - Jesus is a real name and real person in Paul. The title Saviour fits
the person. The title Christ fits the role. The title Lord fits the observed
vindication.

Paul received and passed on a number of other teachings - notably the
eucharistic tradition, also things like the Philippians hymn, paraenetic
material consistent with the gospels, and a deeply shared Judaism (from
which comes most if not all of the paraenetic material). The law written on
the heart in the NT is the same spirit of the law in TNK.

I don't think that we are dealing with 2nd and 3rd century redactions - but
I am open to arguments to the contrary.

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +
Catch the foxes for us,
http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca

  • Kasantsakis & celluloid Jesus, Bob MacDonald, 05/05/2002