corpus-paul - Re: Sosthenes was Crispus

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: rfellows AT intergate.ca
  • To: <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sosthenes was Crispus

Thanks, Stephen and Robert, for the replies.

I wonder if listers would like to comment on the meaning of the name
"Sosthenes", and how it might fit with what we know about Crispus.

According to "Hitchcock's New and Complete Analysis of the Holy Bible"
(1874), "Sosthenes" means Saviour; Strong; Powerful. Can this he nuanced? Is
this an appropriate name to be given to Crispus (Acts 18:8)? He believed in
the Lord, and was probably instrumental in the conversions (for want of a
better word) of his household and of the many Corinthians mentioned in this
verse. Would it therefore be appropriate for the community to think of him as
one who saves, and call him "SWSQENHS"? Often in Paul's writings it is God
who saves, but Paul and the Corinthians also do it (Rom 11:14 (SWSW); 1 Cor
7:16 (SWSEIS twice); 9:22 (SWSW)). Any comments, anyone?

Also, does anyone have any information on the practice of name changes among
Christians of the first three centuries? I don't think a thorough study has
been done, so any clues would be appreciated.

Richard.