corpus-paul - RE: To Moon's Roman 6:14 and 15.

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Billy LeJeune" <billyl AT wcs.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: To Moon's Roman 6:14 and 15.
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:39:55 -0600

Dear Moon,

I see your point. What do you think of this?

I see this theme "shall we sin that good may come..." as originating in
chapter 3:

3:5 But if our injustice serves to confirm the justice of God, what
should we say? That God is unjust to inflict wrath on us?

I think that the concept Paul developes in 9-11 of Israel's
hardening(our injustice)bringing in the gentiles(confirm the justice of
God) is behind this. This Pauline idea leads to the anonymous slanderous
charge that appears next:

But if through my falsehood(Israel's hardening)God's
truthfulness(gentiles in) abounds to his glory, why am I still being
condemned as a sinner?(good point) And why not say (as some people
slander us by saying that we say, "Let us do evil so that good may
come"? Their condemnation is deserved!

When he gets to chp. 6, I think he is in part refuting the slanderous
charge. I don't have this worked out but I think Israel's hardening came
from sin working through the law or using the law. Part of what Paul
will be trying to work toward an explanation of what comes in 3:20b:

3:20 For "no human being will be justified in his sight" by deeds
prescribed by the law, for through the law comes the knowledge of sin.

Now I think that 6:1, following the Adam/Christ; sin/grace contrast in
5, is about "continuing" or "remaining" in sin or in Adam as opposed to
being transferred into Christ. It's about moving from one kingdom to
another.

I take 6:15 to be transitional in that Paul is through with the tranfer
concept and is finally going to let us know how it is that sin works
through the law (moving toward chp.7.)

Does this make any sense?

Billy LeJeune
Elementary School Teacher
Tennessee

  • RE: To Moon's Roman 6:14 and 15., Billy LeJeune, 01/29/2002